EXPRESSIVE ARTS FOR GRIEVING PEOPLE

KIDS EXPRESS

The Talking Stick is a tool used in many First Peoples Traditions when a council is called. When a council member holds a Talking Stick, it is believed that their words convey their Sacred Point of View.

When a group is formed the Stick is passed from person to person as they speak and no one will speak unless they are holding the Stick. Everyone is to listen closely to the words being spoken, and when their turn comes, they receive the same courtesy. The idea is to allow everyone time to state their Sacred Point of View.

Sometimes getting kids to talk is tricky. I know - I am an introvert and I really needed lots of room to talk when I was younger. My chatty sibling usually left me with no room to voice my thoughts or feelings.


Things like this introduce a new vibe and can be seen as a fun social experiment, thus luring us introverts out of our quietness...

It is fun when you plan to have an outing, go camping, or some other change of venue to make and use a talking stick - around a campfire is particularly powerful. We were discussing summer camping plans today, which got me thinking of the talking stick.

Kids can really get into making a stick and it gives you opportunity to discuss the skill of listening and talking.
You will need:
A stick - nice, sturdy size
Ribbon or yarn
Paint - acrylic is good
Paintbrushes
Beads ( optional - I did not have any!)
Feathers
Scissors
Stuff to clean up with

Instructions:

Paint the top portion of your stick

Wrap yarn or ribbon around your stick, tying it at either end to secure in place.

Tie some feathers onto yarn or ribbon strands and tie to the stick around the top. Pretty simple - and a great stimulant for conversation!

Love,

SEARCH THIS BLOG BY KEYWORDS