EXPRESSIVE ARTS FOR GRIEVING PEOPLE

Day 13 of the 31 Day TLC Pledge

"The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself."  - Lao-Tzu
Women (from my generation, anyway) are pressured culturally to be out-of-body and non-authentic. One of my favorite books that gives analysis to this fact is the book "Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls". If you have never read it - I highly recommend it.

The author’s thesis- for many girls, transitioning from young adolescence to young womanhood involves no longer living to make yourself happy, but living to make others happy so they will accept you.

Up to age 10 or 11, most girls live in whatever way makes them happy. Playing sports. Excelling academically. Not putting much importance into their appearance. But, when they enter high school, that all changes. They suddenly encounter cultural forces which force them to adjust their lives to be accepted by their peers. They have to give up living to please themselves, and instead live to please others.

I see myself in this book, but not so much so that I am crippled by the culture. I. thankfully, received a lot of freedoms and liberation that was afforded to me by an unconventional family and my own spirited personality.

Today's Suggested Intention: I will ponder things that make me happy today.
Today's Suggested Act: I will pursue one of those "happy" things.

Love,

SEARCH THIS BLOG BY KEYWORDS